If you missed the Golden Globes on Sunday, you weren’t alone. For the first time in decades, the show was not shown on live television or via a live digital broadcast, due to an ongoing PR crisis that took the event completely offline. . .
Why is this important: The Globes are usually a huge Hollywood affair, drawing millions of live viewers and acting as a litmus test for big movies before the Oscars. But amid close scrutiny of its lack of representation, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association was forced to recall the show.
Details: Before Sunday night, it was clear that the typical star-studded event would be a nap.
- NBCUniversal, which has aired the show for years, said it will not air the Golden Globes this year following the fallout around the HFPA. On Sunday, a spokesperson for the HFPA confirmed to TBEN that it will also not be broadcasting the event live.
- Instead, a small group of HFPA members, presenters representing groups to which the HFPA has donated, and guests attended a closed-door ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hilton in Los Angeles, as the group’s announced. publicly the winners on Twitter.
- With Hollywood stars and major studios distancing themselves from the show, and amid the caution around the Omicron variant, the typical parties, marching bands, and red carpet events surrounding the event are gone.
Yes, but: The show continued and despite a relatively modest backlash on Twitter, the winners were announced. Streamers continued to gobble up most of the prizes, a trend among prize giveaways in recent years.
- For television, HBO’s “Succession” took home the award for Best Drama, while HBO’s “Hacks” took home the award for Best Musical or Comedy. “Succession’s” Jeremy Strong received the award for best actor in a dramatic television series. Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received the award for Best Actress in a Dramatic Television Series for her role in “Pose” on FX.
- For cinema, Netflix’s “The Power of the Dog” received the award for best drama. Its director Jane Campion received the award for best director. Disney’s live-action re-enactment of “West Side Story” won the award for Best Musical or Comedy. Will Smith won the award for best actor in a dramatic film. for his role in “Le Roi Richard”. Nicole Kidman won the award for Best Actress in a Dramatic Film for her role in “Being the Ricardos”.
Catch up quickly: The HFPA was engulfed in the drama following a report last February revealing that none of the HFPA members were black.
- Shortly after, executives from major movie studios, PR companies and Hollywood stars called for a boycott of the group until it enacted reforms.
- The HFPA released a new timetable for a reform plan in May. In August, he launched new statutes to reflect his commitment to reform.
The big picture: Ratings for Hollywood’s main awards show have been dropping for years, but the pandemic has accelerated that trend. Audiences for the Grammy Awards, Oscars and Golden Globes reached record highs last year.
What to watch: Hollywood’s biggest awards shows and major events have been rocked by complications from COVID-19.
- The Critics Choice Awards, which were also due to air on Sunday, have been postponed until December due to the pandemic.
- Sundance film festival canceled in person events Wednesday amid growing concerns over the coronavirus.
- The 2022 Grammy Awards, originally slated for later this month, were postponed last week due to the increase in COVID-19 cases.