Tens of billions of dollars are spent each year on Hollywood blockbusters and streaming hits that depict stories in fictional countries and places far removed from the real world. Sometimes it’s as simple as filming at Paramount Studios in the middle of Los Angeles. But increasingly, crews are packing for faraway states and nations, many across Europe – even when the stories have nothing to do with the locations where they are filmed.
How well do you know Hollywood filming locations? To test your knowledge, the Times has prepared a quiz. The answers are below.
2. This car chase scene from a great sci-fi thriller was filmed in Tallinn, Estonia. What movie is it from?
a) “Jurassic World Dominion”
c) “Black Panther”
d) “Mad Max: Fury Road”
3. In order to recreate the western front in France during the First World War, which region of the United Kingdom was used in the film “1917”?
a) East London
b) Salisbury Plain
d) The Cotswolds
4. “Dune”, with Timothée Chalamet, was filmed in several countries. Which of these two are among them?
d) Czech Republic
5. Which site in Lithuania was not a filming location for “Stranger Things Season 4”?
a) Lukiskes Prison, Vilinus
b) St. Nicholas Church, Semeliskes
c) Kyviskes Airfield, Kyviskes
d) Bell Tower of Cathedral Square, Vilnius
6. In “Game of Thrones”, this city was used to represent King’s Landing.
a) Sofia, Bulgaria
b) Belfast, Northern Ireland
c) Dubrovnik, Croatia
d) Glasgow, Scotland
7. “Fantastic Beasts: Dumbledore’s Secrets” has scenes set in China, Bhutan and Berlin. Where is the main studio where the film was shot?
a) Leavesden, United Kingdom
b) Frankfurt, Germany
c) Thessaloniki, Greece
d) Jakar, Bhutan
Answers: 1-d, 2-b, 3-b, 4-a and b, 5-d, 6-c, 7-a
This story originally appeared in the Los Angeles Times.